Snack lovers, rejoice -- this isn't any ordinary popcorn recipe.
"This is pretty sophisticated popcorn, and a bit of an update on the salt and vinegar chips that were a slightly more common snack when I was growing up. Mind you, this probably suits more of a grown up palate. This would make a great aperitivo snack with a briny fino sherry, or with a few cold beers watching the soccer or football," said chef Karen Martini.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 180 g spicy cured chorizo, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt flakes
- 200 g popcorn kernels
- 2 ½ tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Add half the oil to a heavy, wide-based saucepan over low–medium heat. Fry the chorizo for a few minutes on each side until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add the cooled chorizo and the salt to a spice grinder and blitz to a powder.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan over high heat and add the popcorn kernels. Coat the kernels with oil, cover the pan and wait until all the kernels have popped.
- Tip the popcorn into a serving bowl, drizzle over the sherry vinegar and scatter over half the chorizo dust. Toss well and serve with the remaining chorizo dust sprinkled over the top.