Rod Marsh Admits To A Youth-First Selection Policy

30/10/2015 6:47 PM AEDT | Updated 15/07/2016 12:50 PM AEST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Matt King - CA via Getty Images
CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 24: Joe Burns of the Cricket Australia XI during the tour match between the Cricket Australia XI and New Zealand at Manuka Oval on October 24, 2015 in Canberra, Australia. (Photo by Matt King - CA/Cricket Australia/Getty Images)

Some of the pundits picked it but others like former captain Michael Clarke had been thinking in a different direction.

But selector and former Australian wicket keeper Rod Marsh says the selection of Joe Burns to head the batting was simply about the number of runs on the board.

At the announcement of the Test team Marsh confirmed that the selection panel is following a youth-first policy with Shaun Marsh and Cam Bancroft left out and Burns selected to partner David Warner at the top of the order.

"I'd love to play 14 players, but you can't. I know the guys that missed out will be doing their darndest to state their case again." he said.

With four pacemen, Peter Siddle included, and all-rounder Mitch Marsh in the list, the bowling stocks look healthy.

However, with a relatively new wicket-keeper in Peter Nevill and a range of new inexperienced batting combinations in the top order, only time will tell against a strong performing Kiwi side.

But in a rebuilding phase, the foundations have to be laid somewhere.

More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement