Vision courtesy ABC News
Malcolm Turnbull says Australia's terror alert level will remain 'High', speaking in Berlin on Saturday afternoon -- his first address relating to the Paris terrorist attacks.
Mr Turnbull addressed a media pack and said there was "no evidence" Australian security agencies could find to warrant changing the alert level from its current status.
"We’ve discussed at considerable length… and the advice I have from the Australian Federal Police is (the) alert level remains (high), as it has been since September last year," he said.
"Security agencies do not believe there is any evidence to increase that alert level ... we have the finest security agencies in the world (and) a government that is utterly committed."
Mr Turnbull extended his sympathies to the victims and their families, saying Australia "stands shoulder to shoulder with the people of France".
"Yet again, we have seen a shocking terrorist attack in Paris ... Paris, France -- the home of freedom," Mr Turnbull said.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with (the people of France). Our solidarity is with them, too.
"They sang their national anthem proudly (while leaving Stade de France); that is how all free people should respond. We stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the people of France.
"What we know about the attack is very limited; this attack appears to have all the hallmarks of a Daesh attack by ISIL. It is truly the work of the devil.
Mr Turnbull said he could not confirm any Australian casualties at this stage.
"We cannot confirm whether any Australians have been killed or injured in this attack (but) those concerned about their loved ones in Paris should contact the DFAT numbers."
According to the Federal Government's Australian National Security website, the terror alert level has been set to high for more than a year.
"Based on advice from security and intelligence agencies, the Australian Government raised the National Terrorism Public Alert Level from Medium to High on 12 September 2014," the website states.Suggest a correction