Arrests In Belgium Over Paris Attacks

15/11/2015 6:39 AM AEDT | Updated 15/07/2016 12:51 PM AEST
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
JOEL SAGET via Getty Images
A woman reacts in front of candles in tribute to the victims of the deadly Paris' attacks on November 14, 2015 at the Place de la Republique in Paris. Islamic State jihadists claimed a series of coordinated attacks by gunmen and suicide bombers in Paris on November 13 that killed at least 129 people in scenes of carnage at a concert hall, restaurants and the national stadium. AFP PHOTO / JOEL SAGET (Photo credit should read JOEL SAGET/AFP/Getty Images)

A number of arrests have been made in Belgium over terrorist attacks in Paris which have killed at least 129 and left several hundred more injured.

The Belgian justice minister confirmed that a number of arrests had been made in Brussels in relation to the attack.

The Sydney Morning Herald reports that three of the Paris attackers lived in the same neighbourhood in Brussels and a car used in the attacks was registered in Belgium.

In the deadliest violence witnessed in Europe in decades, more than 100 people were slain at the Bataclan theatre after gunmen took hostages.

French security forces raided the concert theatre, which was hosting an American rock band, killing two assailants. Speaking with The Guardian after escaping the Bataclan, a man described the scene as "carnage," adding there were "bodies everywhere."

Eight extremists were killed in Paris, including seven in suicide bombings.

At least one gunman opened fire outside the Petit Cambodge restaurant in the 10th district, leaving 11 people dead.

Two explosions occurred outside the Stade de France stadium north of Paris during a friendly match between France and Germany, killing three people. The police later confirmed these were suicide attacks. The sound of the explosions was captured by cameras filming the match. French president Francois Hollande, who was in attendance, was evacuated from the ground.

Mr Hollande has called the attacks "an act of war" and said France would observe three days of mourning.

Overnight, a Paris prosecutor said there were three teams of terrorists involved, who had struck in coordinated attacks across the city.

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks in a statement posted online.

“Eight brothers, wrapped in explosive belts and armed with machine rifles, targeted sites that were accurately chosen in the heart of the capital of France,” the online statement said.

“Let France and those who walk in its path know that they will remain on the top of the list of targets of the Islamic State.”

For those concerned about friends or relatives in France, call the consular hotline: 1300 555 135 or from overseas dial +61 2 6261 3305.


More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement