Now you really can make friends with salad.
This 'vertical' jar salad is easy to make, filling, delicious and Pinterest-level pretty. It's perfect for those wanting a healthy lunch without the hassle of making a fancy salad.
This salad also keeps well (as it doesn't go soggy thanks to good ol’ gravity) and is very versatile -- simply swap out any elements with your favourite ingredients.
To make this lunchtime revelation, all you need to do is fill the jar with the top layer ingredients first, followed by roast veggies, a whole grain, fresh veggies and, lastly, your greens.
Voila! Then all you need to do is tip it upside down into a bowl, add a quick dressing and you’re ready to go.
- First (bottom) layer of jar: feta, seeds, nuts, dukkah, etc.
- Second layer: roast veggies (pumpkin, sweet potato, zucchini, etc.)
- Third layer: wholegrain (brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc.)
- Fourth layer: fresh veggies (cucumber, capsicum, cherry tomatoes, etc.)
- Last layer: leafy greens (baby spinach, lettuce, kale, etc.)
Easy balsamic dressing
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
Place all ingredients into a small jar and shake, then serve.