Several homes were raided in Melbourne on Tuesday morning in connection to a group of five men dubbed the 'Tinnie Terrorists'.
Police confirmed the Victorian Joint Counter Terrorism Team was "currently executing a number of warrants in the northern and north-western suburbs of Melbourne" linked to five men charged over a plan to travel by boat to join Islamic State.
Police said the raids were not based on any information of an increased threat or danger to the community.
Vic Joint Counter Terrorism Team launch raids in Melbourne. Linked to arrest of 5 men in Qld, to be extradited today pic.twitter.com/9qvhzJzwNb— Joel Dry (@JoelDry9) May 17, 2016
The men were arrested near Cairns last week and a seven-metre boat they had towed from Melbourne was seized after plans were revealed the group aimed to tow the boat to the northernmost tip of Australia, then sail to Indonesia.
Once there, the group allegedly planned to meet IS operatives and travel on to Syria.
Robert Cerantonio, Shayden Thorne, Anthony Granata, Paul Dacre and Kadir Kaya were expected to be at Melbourne Magistrates Court on Thursday, charged with 'making preparations for incursions into foreign countries for the purpose of engaging in hostile activities'.
In NSW, meanwhile, an 18-year-old man was arrested on terrorism charges and police confirmed it was not connected tot eh Melbourne raids.
Suggest a correction
The NSW terrorism arrest is NOT related to the raids being carried out in Melbourne's north, the AFP says.— Nick Ralston (@NickDRalston) May 17, 2016