Euro 2016: French Man Who Planned Attack On Football Tournament Arrested

06/06/2016 8:07 PM AEST | Updated 06/06/2016 8:14 PM AEST

Ukraine's intelligence agency has arrested a French man who it says planned an attack at the Euro 2016 football tournament in France.

It comes after French President Francois Hollande said that the threat of extremism won't stop the tournament from being successful.

Hollande said in an interview on Sunday with France Inter radio that precautionary measures throughout the matches, including a 90,000-strong security force, will ensure the matches scattered in 10 French cities are safe.

Charles Platiau / Reuters
A football is suspended under the Eiffel Tower ahead of the start of the UEFA 2016 European Championship in Paris, France 

Hollande said France decided to go ahead with Euro 2016 despite two waves of attacks last year, and make it a "festival for people and for sports."

But he said that spectators at the monthlong tournament, which starts on Friday, must accept security checks as they enter stadiums and fan zones.

Hollande added that "this threat, alas, will exist for a long time so we must guarantee this great event ... is successful. It will be."

More follows... 

More On This Topic