Former Perth Student Charged With Murder Over Family Axe Slaying

Henri van Breda handed himself into police on Monday.

15/06/2016 9:45 AM AEST | Updated 15/07/2016 12:54 PM AEST
Henri van Breda, right, is led by a South African police woman as he arrives at the Stellenbosch magistrate court in Stellenbosch, South Africa.

A former Perth man charged with the axe murder of his family in South Africa must surrender his passport to authorities after being granted bail.

Henri van Breda, 21, is accused of hacking to death his father, mother and older brother at the family's home outside Stellenbosch, a university town in South Africa's Western Cape Provence.

His 17 year old sister, Marli, was seriously wounded with a severed jugular but survived the attack.

Van Breda was granted R100,000 (approx. $A8867) bail on the condition he stay inside the West Cape Province, report to police, surrenders his passport and stays away from witnesses.

Van Breda reportedly turned himself into police on Tuesday after investigators told him of his imminent arrest, almost 18 months after his wealthy businessman father, Martin van Breda, his mother Teresa van Breda and older brother Rudi van Breda, 22, were killed in an axe attack.

His younger sister Marli survived with severe head injuries and a severed jugular. Despite making a full recovery she reportedly has retrograde amnesia and has no memory of the attack.

Henri was found with minor injuries and said he had been knocked unconscious by an unknown intruder.

The van Breda family had reportedly lived in Perth for several years before eventually moving back to their native South Africa.

The country's National Prosecuting Authority alleges van Breda tampered with the crime scene, inflicted injuries on himself and supplied false information to the authorities, South Africa's News 24 reports.

NPA Western Cape spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila defended the 18 month run-up to charging van Breda, telling reporters there were aspects to the case the prosecution wanted the investigating team to clear up.

"It took some time. Some people might not have been happy and may have been concerned by that, but during that period we kept the family abreast of developments," he told News24.

"The same people who would have been concerned are the same people who would have been very unhappy with us if we did a shoddy investigation which resulted in the case being kicked out of court."

The case was adjourned to September 9.

More On This Topic