The commander of one of the navy's biggest ships has been temporarily replaced while the Defence Department probes a complaint from a female officer after a late night drinking session.
Boss of HMAS Success, Michael Letts, has been stood down as the navy examines the complaint of the female officer following the drinking session when the vessel was docked at Singapore last year, the ABC reports.
HMAS Success commander stood aside by Royal Australian Navy after an on-board complaint from female officer https://t.co/Yjt1CEo6xd— ABC News (@abcnews) September 2, 2016
The Defence Department told the ABC: "The Commanding Officer has been temporarily stood aside from Command whilst an investigation is underway into a number of incidents on board HMAS Success".
The navy is also said to be examining claims that 2 other crew members from HMAS Success assaulted a man, leaving him unconscious, during a port visit to Malaysia in August.
— ABC Current Affairs (@amworldtodaypm) September 2, 2016
The ABC's report follows revelations in NewsCorp Australia media on Friday that the Australian Defence Force has paid $66 million to 1723 victims of sexual assault, bullying, violence and harassment since 2012.