NOW

Victoria Floods: Wangaratta Evacuation Order Lifted

About 350 people in Victoria's northeast can return to their homes.

08/10/2016 7:47 AM AEDT | Updated 08/10/2016 10:00 AM AEDT
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Jason Reed / Reuters
A leaking levee has prompted at evacuation order for part of Wangaratta in Victoria.

An evacuation warning has been lifted in Victoria's flooded northeast after a levee struggling to cope with rising waters was secured.

The alert had been in place for Wangaratta, with about 350 residents said to be threatened by the leaking levee.

Victoria SES said on Saturday morning that crews had worked through the night to repair the compromised levee, advising that it was now safe for residents to return to their homes.

"Emergency Services have worked overnight to secure the affected area of the levee on the Ovens River, near the Parfitt Road and Clements street intersection in Wangaratta," it said.

Earlier, leaks in the levee had raised concerns that around 150 homes could be flooded, especially with more rain forecast for many parts of Victoria over the next 48 hours.

SES deputy incident controller David Rush told the ABC the levee leak was "quite dangerous".

"It's got the potential to flood about 150 properties with about a metre of water quite quickly," he was quoted as saying.

On Friday night, police and SES volunteers reportedly doorknocked many properties in the area that were at risk of flooding of the levee broke.

After weeks of heavy rain and floods, Victorian residents have been warned to ready themselves for damaging winds and more downpours this weekend.

More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement