SPORT

Dave Warner Says Phillip Hughes Looked 'Comfortable' Batting

There is no suggestion the bowling was any more dangerous than a typical cricket match.

11/10/2016 6:15 PM AEDT | Updated 11/10/2016 6:29 PM AEDT
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
AFP/Getty Images
Hughes and Warner batting together in 2011.

It's been an emotional day at the inquest into the death of Phillip Hughes in November, 2014.

Tom Cooper, Hughes' batting partner at the other end of the pitch when the fateful incident occurred, left the court in tears after giving evidence. Cooper, now 29, said "unfortunately, yes" when asked whether he could still remember the Hughes incident.

He said NSW was deliberately bowling short balls at Hughes -- who was regarded as having a weakness against said deliveries ever since England had success against him with short balls in the 2009 Ashes.

But Cooper denied that NSW bowler Doug Bollinger had allegedly said "I'm going to kill you" to Hughes, despite the fact Cooper had reportedly relayed the alleged statement to Hughes' big brother Jason. Bollinger himself yesterday also denied saying those words.

Meanwhile Australian vice captain David Warner, who was one of the first to come to Hughes' aid onfield after the tragic blow, gave evidence via video link from South Africa, where he is playing a One Day series with the Australian team.

"He was playing quite comfortably," Warner said. "It looked like he was in control of everything he was doing."

Warner also said that Hughes, a close friend, never mentioned feeling unsafe against bouncers, adding that he was not sledged by NSW bowlers at the SCG on the day he was fatally struck. Umpires called before the inquest expressed similar sentiments regarding sledging earlier on Tuesday.

Although Hughes was peppered with short balls throughout his innings of 63 not out, there has been no suggestion yet at the inquest that the bowling was any more dangerous than a typical cricket match.

As the inquest started at 10 am on Monday morning, NSW State Coroner Michael Barnes made it clear that this was about causes and solutions to prevent future incidents. It was not about the blame game.

"The inquest is being convened to explore whether it could have been avoided," Barnes said. "These inquiries are not undertaken to lay blame. Quite clearly the death was a terrible accident but that doesn't mean cricket can't be made safer."

David Warner was the last cricketer to take the stand at the inquest. Sean Abbott, the bowler who delivered the fateful ball, will not appear.

More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement