Warning: Graphic image below.
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird has backed down on his state government's shark attack policy, announcing the state will trial shark nets across beaches if the Federal Government approves.
The announcement is Baird's second backflip in two days after the Premier changed his mind on banning greyhound racing (which you can read more about here).
The decision comes after another surfer was attacked by a shark at Sharpes Beach in Ballina on Wednesday, the second attack in the area in two weeks.
A 25-year-old man was bitten on the leg by a shark on Wednesday, after a teenage surfer was bitten on September 26 at Lighthouse Beach.
The NSW Government had been in favour of high tech 'smart drum lines' over shark nets, with critics suggesting Baird was too concerned for shark welfare.
On Wednesday, Baird told NSW Parliament he is writing to the federal government asking to trial shark nets across the north coast following Wednesday's attack.
"Ultimately we get to the point where we have to prioritise human life over everything," Baird said.
"So we will be writing to the federal government asking for a six-month trial of nets on those north coast beaches.
"As we do that, we will be continuing with all the technology to ensure that we have the best-possible measures across our coastline to protect swimmers. That is our obligation."
NSW Government's Department of Primary Industries currently uses 'Shark Smart' technologies including drones and aerial surveys. Smart drum lines use GPS technology to alert scientists when a shark is caught.