SPORT

Nick Kyrgios Suspended From International Tennis Circuit After Shanghai Match

The ATP investigation has ended in suspension.

17/10/2016 7:24 PM AEDT | Updated 17/10/2016 8:00 PM AEDT
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Issei Kato / Reuters
Kyrios is the first elite player suspended for behavioural issues since 1987.

Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios has been booted off the international tennis circuit following another tanking episode in the Shanghai Masters last week.

After Kyrgios threw away points in a match against German Mischa Zverev, the Aussie athlete was fined for unsportsmanlike conducts and verbal abuse and an investigation was launched.

The ATP World Tour has banned Kyrgios for eight weeks along with a $32,900 fine, however, it could be shortened to three weeks if Kyrgios meets certain conditions -- including consulting with sports psychologists and life coaches.

On Monday night, Kyrgios apologised for his on-court misbehaviour and said the Asian circuit was "particularly tough".

"The season has been a long one as I battled several injuries and other challenges towards the end of the summer," Kyrgios said in a statement.

"After the long week and win in Tokyo and with the travel throughout the continent, my body finally just gave out in Shanghai both physically and mentally.

"This is no excuse, and I know very well that I need to apologise to the fans -- in Shanghai and in other parts of the world -- as well as the tournament organisers in Shanghai who do an amazing job."

Kyrgios -- who is the first elite player to be suspended for behavioural issues since John McEnroe in 1987 -- said he respects the tennis governing body's decision and regrets the way his season is ending.

The ban means Kyrios will be unable to play in the Swiss Indoors tournament in Basel and the BNP Paribas Masters in Paris.

More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement