WORLD

Week Of Renewed Aleppo Strikes Kills 141 In East, 16 In West

23/11/2016 6:43 AM AEDT | Updated 23/11/2016 6:44 AM AEDT
NEW! HIGHLIGHT AND SHARE
Highlight text to share via Facebook and Twitter
Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
ALEPPO, SYRIA - NOVEMBER 21: Residents escape from the scene of the air strikes carried out by the war crafts belonging to the Syrian and Russian army over residential areas Firdevs Neighborhood of Aleppo, Syria on November 21, 2016. (Photo by Jawad al Rifai/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

At least 141 civilians, including 18 children, have been killed in a week of renewed bombardment on the rebel-held eastern half of Aleppo which has devastated its hospitals, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said on Tuesday.

The Britain-based war monitor said it had documented hundreds of injuries as a result of Russian and Syrian air strikes and shelling by government forces and its allies on the besieged eastern half of the divided city.

The assault began last Tuesday after a weeks-long pause in air strikes and shelling inside east Aleppo, although battles and air strikes did continue along the city's front lines and in the surrounding countryside.

The monitor said there were another 87 deaths of rebel fighters and people of unknown identity in the eastern sector.

The Observatory also documented 16 civilian deaths, including 10 children, and dozens of injuries as a result of rebel shelling of government-held west Aleppo.

Air strikes and shelling of east Aleppo last week knocked all the main hospitals in that part of the city out of service, the local health authority and international humanitarian agencies said.

More On This Topic

Advertisement
Advertisement