Seven people have been taken to hospital and more than a dozen people -- including two children -- are injured after a gas explosion in Sydney's Chinatown area on Tuesday night.
Emergency services were called to the scene at 7:40pm after a gas main exploded in the loading dock of a food court on the corner of Sussex Street and Little Hay Street in Haymarket.
Fire and Rescue NSW Superintendent Paul Johnstone confirmed 200 people were evacuated from the building after gas leaked from the main, causing the explosion.
"The explosion blew out the roller shutter door and that injured people in the immediate vicinity," Jonstone told The Huffington Post Australia.
Jonstone said the explosion activated the sprinkler system which contained any flames. No other buildings were evacuated.
— Nine News Sydney (@9NewsSyd) November 29, 2016
"Now 12 adults and two children were injured and injuries were consistent with lacerations," Jonstone said, confirming seven people have been taken to hospital.
The gas company is shutting down the gas main completely and a hazmat team is at the scene to check further safety issues.
"Crews are taking readings throughout the building to ensure there are no further gas leaks."Suggest a correction