POLITICS

Victorian Terror Laws Under Review Following Brighton Siege

"Nothing is off the table."

18/06/2017 3:04 PM AEST | Updated 18/06/2017 3:04 PM AEST

The Victorian government will conduct a sweeping review of state terror laws as it moves to ramp up safeguards against extremism following this month's fatal Brighton siege.

Premier Daniel Andrews said on Sunday an expert panel would carry out the wide-ranging review, which would examine how the state could improve its anti-terror laws and make it easier for police to respond to terror threats.

Andrews said the overhaul was aimed at making sure police and courts had the power to respond to terror and extremism in the community.

"We make no apologies for doing whatever it takes to keep Victorians safe from terror. This is front and centre for Victorian police," he told reporters.

He said given the "fast moving" nature of terror threats the government needed to ensure it was doing as much as possible to stop future attacks before they occurred.

"Things that may have worked even a year ago, may in fact highlight gaps in the system today and as we look to the future," he said. "Nothing is off the table."

The review is expected to offer guidance on how pre-sentence, sentence and post-sentence measures can be improved and whether barriers for Victorian police responding to terror emergencies need to be removed.

The government said the panel would also look at establishing a preventative detention scheme and disallowing bail options for those charged with terror-related offences, including publicly supporting extremist organisations.

The review will be led by former Chief Commissioner of Police, Ken Lay, and former Supreme Court of Appeal Justice, the Hon David Harper.

The legal shake-up comes in the wake of increased concerns about terrorism following the twin terror attacks in London and Manchester, and the Brighton siege in Melbourne that left two people dead, including gunman Yacqub Khayre.

Four Melbourne men have so far been charged in connection to the fatal siege in the city's southeast, which also left three police officers seriously injured.

Minister for Police Lisa Neville described the review as "a critical part of reducing risk for the Victorian community".

"We need to ensure that police have the powers needed to respond to the changing challenged posed by terrorism," she said.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST AUSTRALIA

More On This Topic