NEWS

20 People Accuse Kevin Spacey Of 'Inappropriate Behavior' While Working At London Theater

17/11/2017 12:29 AM AEDT | Updated 17/11/2017 7:41 AM AEDT

Twenty people have accused Kevin Spacey of “inappropriate behavior” during his tenure at a London theater.

The Old Vic theater on Thursday released findings from an investigation into Spacey’s time as artistic director, a position he held from 2004 to 2015. The review, which was conducted by an external law firm, comes amid a wave of sexual misconduct accusations against the actor.

The nearly two-week investigation turned up 20 alleged incidents relating to The Old Vic between 1995 and 2013. All but two occurred before 2009, according to the theater.

In all but one case, individuals alleging “inappropriate behavior” by Spacey did not come forward at the time or asked that no formal action be taken, according to a press release issued by The Old Vic. None of the individuals who made allegations against Spacey said they were minors at the time of the incidents, according to the theater, and most shared their testimonies with investigators “on the promise of anonymity.”

“To all those people who felt unable to speak up at the time, The Old Vic truly apologizes,” Nick Clarry, chairman of the theater, said Thursday in a statement. “Inappropriate behavior by anyone working at The Old Vic is completely unacceptable.”

The Old Vic said Spacey had not yet responded to the findings of its investigation. A representative for the actor did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment. 

Spacey made his Old Vic debut in 1998 while performing in a production of “The Iceman Cometh.” He went on to star in several productions throughout his tenure as the theater’s artistic director, including 2005’s “National Anthems,” 2011’s “Richard III” and 2015’s “Clarence Darrow.” 

There has been an outpouring of sexual misconduct allegations against Spacey since last month, when actor Anthony Rapp accused the actor of making sexual advances on him when he was 14. Spacey said he did not remember the incident, but said he apologized if the accusation was true. He has not addressed several other accusations of sexual harassment or sexual assault against him that have since surfaced.

A representative for Spacey said earlier this month that the actor is seeking “evaluation and treatment.”

More On This Topic