Date Night! It's definitely not what it used to be once upon a time 'pre-kids'! Between coordinating schedules, babysitting and actually finding the energy after a long AF week, it can be hard to find the time or be bothered.
And while I definitely think date night is a vital part of a relationship and totally worth it, let's be real about what date night is really like when you've got kids.
- You consider a bit of BB cream and your best jeans as 'dressing up'.
- When you finally make it out the door it will feel like you've just escaped from Azkaban -- OHH SWEET, SWEET FREEDOM!
- You couldn't give a shit where you go as long as they serve alcohol.
- But you'll then have two sips of wine and almost fall asleep face first in your entree.
- You'll text/call the babysitter at least five times in the first hour just to check everything's okay.
- You'll probably end up talking about your kids all night. "So Annabelle did poos in the potty TWICE today."
- You'll plan to head out for a movie after dinner but reconsider by dessert to just head home because it's 8:30 pm and it's SO LATE!
- You'll have the best of intentions of ending the night with a cheeky bedroom sesh, but fall asleep the second your head hits the pillow.
- And even if your husband has managed to throw a leg over you, it would have been interrupted anyway because the toddlers are in your bed five minutes later.
But you know what, it doesn't matter anyway. Because since becoming a parent I've also realised that you don't need to spend heaps of money, go to expensive restaurants or prove anything to anyone.
Just spending a few hours in the company of the man I love is what it's all about. It's a luxury, I appreciate that time together so much more than I ever did before... even if date night does end up just being pizza and beer on the couch because the babysitter cancelled.Suggest a correction