There is a place within each and every one of us that stores a hidden well. The power of this hidden well gives us the ability to rise above ordinary, day-to-day situations within an instant if called upon. Within this well resides love, courage, compassion, hope, strength, humility, integrity, respect, faith, resilience, passion, benevolence, kindness, patience, joy and truth.
Most are not aware of its existence, but if you look closely enough you will recognise that there have been many instances in your own life where you tapped into this well and into your hero within. Are you able to recognise that each and every one of us has all of those traits at our disposal if we so choose to call upon them and action them?
I believe there are heroes among us, not just some of the time, but all of the time. Every single day, human beings perform amazing acts of courage and love. Some of these make headline news, but more often than not it is the unsung hero that goes about their business, acting from their hidden well and never understanding the enormous impact their presence or action has had on another human being.
And, going one step further, the positive impact on this one person never stops with them. The family, the co-worker, the company, the team, the community and perhaps even the nation is also impacted positively from this action.
Take the analogy of a pebble thrown into a still pond. The pebble thrown into the water creates a ripple effect. If a boulder is thrown into the water it creates an even bigger ripple effect, but neither is more important than the other. Both have made an impact.
If you understand that for every action there is a reaction and that it is instant, you would also understand just how powerful we are and together we can be the difference we wish to see in this world.
The hero within comes in many forms. The hero is not limited to a certain gender, age, religious background, ethnicity, geographical location or financial status.
Have you stopped to consider that the smile you just gave a complete stranger may have been the highlight of their day? How many of you think that a small act of kindness is never wasted? What if, for a moment, everyone decided that they would call upon their hero within and pledge to do one unconditional act of kindness a day. Would that not then spread out into your family, friends and community?
To be a hero does not require a herculean effort or act.
Try the following:
- Open the door for someone.
- Let the mother with the crying child go in front of you in the line at the grocery store.
- Let someone know that you care.
- Listen and acknowledge another's presence, point of view, opinion or belief. Sometimes people just want to be acknowledged and heard. It doesn't mean you have to change your opinion or belief, but the care that you display for another person's wellbeing softens the heart and makes them feel included.
- Offer a homeless person a meal. Being hungry and alone isn't always a choice they made, nor does it mean they are lazy. Some people become homeless over something as little as a paycheck one week late. Showing compassion for the less fortunate is true grace.
- Stay free of judging, gossiping and spreading rumours.
- Treat everyone as you wish to be treated. At the end of the day, you will know how you acted.
- Mow the lawn for an elderly neighbour.
- Hug a loved one.
- Plant a tree.
- Stand up for someone being bullied.
- Tell the truth.
- Buy the next person in line their coffee.
- Offer to take that photo for the one person in the group who would otherwise have missed out.
- Pray for someone who is unwell or is in need of support.
- Pray for solutions (don't focus on the problem).
- Pick up trash you may find on the street, in the park or at the beach...
- Take your dog for a walk (and perhaps offer to take the neighbours dog too).
It is rather easy to make a difference to someone's life, our planet and our animals. All you have to decide is to do it. The choice is yours.
You have all of those amazing qualities within your hidden well.
You do have a hero within.
Honour others and you honour yourself.
_______________Suggest a correction