Australia's cooking queen Donna Hay was recently chosen as a Tourism Australia ambassador, and as such has been hosting a series of dinners, 'A taste of Australia with Donna Hay', in London at Australia House. Lucky London!
Because you couldn't get there we've brought her Murray River Pink Salt Caramel And Dark Chocolate Tart recipe to you.
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup (110g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- ⅓ cup (35g) Dutch cocoa powder
- 1½ cups (225g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Murray River Pink salt, to serve
- ¾ cup (180ml) single (pouring) cream*
- 90g unsalted butter
- 1½ cups (330g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
- ½ cup (125ml) single (pouring) cream*
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until pale. Add the cocoa, flour, egg and vanilla and process to a smooth dough.
- Press into the base and sides of a 26cm loose-bottomed, fluted tart tin to 5mm thick. Trim the edges and refrigerate until firm. Prick the dough with a fork and bake for 15 minutes or until the pastry is cooked. Set aside.
- To make the filling, place the cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat until melted. Set aside.
- Place the sugar and water in a saucepan over low heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, until dark golden and the mixture reaches 170°C (340°F) on a sugar thermometer. Remove from the heat and carefully whisk in the cream mixture and the salt. Return the pan to low heat and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened. Pour into the pastry shell and refrigerate until firm.
- To make the glaze, place the cream in a saucepan over low heat. Add the chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel and refrigerate until firm.
- Sprinkle with Murray River Pink salt and cut into wedges to serve.
COOK’S TIP: If you’d like to make six mini tarts instead, press the dough into 6 x 11cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tins and cook as per the above recipe.
This story was originally published on September 12, 2015.