21/09/2015 10:39 AM AEST | Updated 15/07/2016 12:51 PM AEST

Joey Survives Callous Car Attack Killing 10 Wombats Near Campground

Richard Woodman

Eagle-eyed locals from the NSW South Coast are keen to help police find who deliberately ran over 10 wombats at a camping ground on the weekend.

Police said the incidents happened at Bendeela Camping Ground, near Nowra on Friday and Saturday nights and witnesses told police they saw a group of people drinking heavily and doing 'doughnuts', the Illawarra Mercury reported.

Locals are now keeping a lookout for a damage white 4WD, which was observed at the scene.

Wildlife Rescue South Coast President Richard Woodman said the community wanted to see the perpetrators brought to justice.

"There's very strong community sentiment to track these people down and I believe police have found a suspect vehicle with damage consistent to running over a wombat.

"They're like a ball of pure muscle so it would have been like hitting a brick.

The wombats were found near a campsite. Picture: Supplied

"The police are doing a great job and we're hoping it will lead to the people involved."

Woodman said he'd seen police investigating a tyre track nearby as well as interviewing people in the campground.

He said some campers were at the site specifically to see wombats.

"There was a family there with kids who'd arrived to watch the wombats," Woodman said.

"For them to leave their tent in the morning and see this horrible scene is terrible."

Meanwhile, Lucky a five-month-old wombat joey that was found in her dead mother's pouch, is doing well.

Lucky the wombat joey is being rehabilitated. Picture: Richard Woodman

Wildlife Rescue South Coast volunteer Nikki Hunter was called by police to check the wombats.

"You always need to check the pouches of dead wombats and kangaroos, whether they're roadkill or otherwise," Hunter said.

"When I found Lucky, she was still warm which is a good sign. She's a positive moment coming out of a terrible situation."

Lucky the wombat joey will be released into the wild after 18 months. Picture: Richard Woodman