Having mates over for an epic weekend of sport? Fire up the barbie and feed them like kings, thanks to this recipe from the Toohey's Cooking Handbook.
The best thing about this recipe (besides the mouthwatering chicken) is finding out which tinny you reckon works best. Beer-basting the chook from the inside out provides what can only be described as ‘epicness’. Why are you still reading this? Go and fire up the barbie.
- 375ml can of your favourite Tooheys beer
- 1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.8kg)
- Preheat a covered barbecue to medium heat (about 180°C). Pour half the beer from the can into a glass. Mix the three sauces with a splash from the glass of beer. Drink the rest of the beer in the glass.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towel. Insert the half-full can into the cavity of the chicken and stand it in a baking dish. The legs and the can should form a reasonably stable tripod so that the chicken will stand upright. Brush the beer and sauce mixture all over the chicken.
- Stand the baking dish on the barbecue plate and lower the hood. Cook for 1¼–1½ hours, basting regularly, until the skin is golden brown and crispy. The drumstick will move easily when the chicken is cooked.
- Take the baking dish off the barbecue and set aside to rest for 5 minutes. Gently lay the chicken on its side and remove the beer can – be careful as the can will be hot. The meat should just about fall off the bone as you carve the chicken. If for some inexplicable reason you don’t have a barbecue, you can cook this in an oven at 180°C. Seriously though, don’t you think it’s time you got a barbie?
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 1½ hours