Nothing says the weekend quite like a stack of hot pancakes for breakfast, though indulging too often probably isn't the best idea. Excellent news then, that we personally road-tested this protein pancake recipe from I Quit Sugar and can vouch for its awesomeness -- both from a taste and health perspective.
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 3 tablespoons vanilla protein powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons of whey (optional, use extra milk if you prefer)
- Coconut oil
To serve: yoghurt, blueberries, coconut flakes and cinnamon.
- Combine protein powder, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon and chia seeds in a bowl. Add eggs, milk and whey (if using) and mix well.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan. Add pancake batter in batches until pancakes are cooked through and golden on both sides.
- Top pancakes with yoghurt, blueberries, coconut flakes and cinnamon.
Note: These protein pancakes are gluten free, dairy free (if you skip the yoghurt), sugar free and grain free. If you’re vegan, simply omit the eggs and soak 2 tablespoons of chia seeds in 1/2 cup water for at least 10 minutes and then add to pancake batter.