This is the world's best Margherita Pizza Recipe. Literally.
"This is the recipe I used when competing at the Campionato Mondiale Della Pizza (Pizza World Championship) which was held in Parma, Italy. It was there and for this pizza that I was awarded the title of world’s top Margherita Pizza!," said award winning pizza chef Johnny Di Francesco.
- 220 g (8 oz) pizza dough (see page 15)
- 60 g (2½ oz) San Marzano tomatoes, peeled and crushed
- 50 g (2 oz) Buffalo Mozzarella, sliced
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Roll out the pizza dough on to a baking tray or bench for stone cooking.
- Spread the San Marzano tomatoes over the dough.
- Top with the Buffalo Mozzarella, place four basil leaves on top and drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil.
DOMESTIC OVEN: BAKE FOR 10 MINUTES AT 250–280°C (500–536°F)
WOOD FIRE OVEN: 90 SECONDS AT 400°C (752°F)
Makes 10–12 bases
- 1.7kg (4 lb) flour (00 5 Stagioni Pizza Napoletana flour with a W280–330 )
- 1 litre (2 pints) water
- 50 g (2 oz) fine sea salt
- 1–3 g fresh yeast
- Weigh out all the ingredients.
- Using a dough mixer mix together the water and the salt. If you don’t have a machine mixer this recipe works just as well by hand, simply follow the same process as instructed below but knead by hand.
- Start the dough mixer and then add 20% of the flour and mix.
- Mix for 5 minutes, then add the yeast. Gradually add the remaining flour and allow to combine.
- Once the dough has combined and seems smooth, stop the mixer, remove the dough and put aside to rest, cover with a cloth.
- Total mixing time, approximately 20 minutes. Final dough temperature, 23–24°C (73–74°F).
- Allow the dough to rest for approximately 2 hours, covered well at a temperature of +20°C/68°F.
- Portion into desired dough size.
- Round each dough piece into dough balls.
- Place the dough balls into a sealed container, allow them to rest and rise naturally in a room no warmer than 16–18°C (60–64°F). Allow the dough to rest between 8-12 hours.
For the best cooking results:
DOMESTIC OVEN: PRE-HEAT THE OVEN TO 220°C (425°F) AND BAKE FOR 8–10 MINUTES. WOOD FIRE OVEN: 90 SECONDS AT 400°C (752°F)
From the book World’s Best Pizza.