As TV networks try to outwit, outsmart and outplay each other in the ratings game for 2016, Channel Ten is pulling out the big guns -- the return of Survivor.
Channel Ten unveiled its content plans for 2016 on Thursday night revealing a line-up of even more homegrown reality shows, including Australian Survivor as well as local and international classics including Offspring, Masterchef and The X-Files.
It came as no surprise that both The Bachelor and The Bachelorette will return and Network Ten chief executive Paul Anderson said the line-up was due to the strong growth they’d seen this year.
“The main TEN channel and Network Ten were the only primary free-to-air commercial channel and the only commercial free-to-air network to increase their prime time audiences in 2015,” Anderson said.
Both Channel 7 and Channel 9 released their 2016 programming plans last month revealing a focus on local content with Jessica Mauboy fronting 7’s new drama The Secret Daughter as well as the network tapping into the TV reality dating phenomenon with new series Kiss Bang Love.
Channel 9 revealed plans to revamp Australia’s Got Talent with a panel including Kelly Osbourne, Sophie Monk, former Idol judge Ian “Dicko” Dickson and Offspring’s Eddie Perfect.
The only international show 9 will air is The Big Bang Theory.
Another brand new series for Channel Ten is local romantic drama The Wrong Girl based on the best-selling book by Zoe Foster Blake.
Jessica Marais is confirmed to play the lead character, Lily however, the network kept quiet on the supporting cast saying details would be announced next year.
Jessica Marais will star as Lily in Channel Ten's new rom-drama, The Wrong Girl.
It was the early 2000s when the first local version of television phenomenon Survivor premiered on the Nine Network.
However, viewers were left shortchanged after having witnessed the exotic locations and model-like contestants on American Survivor in seasons’ past.
Australia’s version didn’t quite add up and after just one season, the Australian version was axed.
SBS also revealed content plans for next year with 24 new Australian documentary commissions including 10 Indigenous productions, two new Australian dramas, five locally made food shows as well as rights to the country’s debut into Eurovision.
Casting for Australian Survivor has begun, with men and women from 18 years and older invited to apply,with a three-minute video.