23/01/2016 1:21 PM AEDT | Updated 28/09/2016 9:57 PM AEST

Community Rallies Around Baby Infant Born Following Fatal Hobart Crash

Kokkai Ng via Getty Images
Australian Ambulance sign illuminated at night. Background is pure black and easily extendable.

Around 200 people have gathered in central Hobart to remember the pregnant woman tragically killed in a car crash on Friday morning.

The baby boy who was delivered after the woman died in the smash remains in a stable condition in hospital.

Community members including friends and family have reportedly laid flowers and lit candles during the vigil at the scene of the crash in the Tasmanian capital.

A number of Buddhist monks are said to have held a silent prayer for the victim during the informal event held on Saturday night.

Meanwhile, the infant, born in Royal Hobart Hospital on Friday, is still in intensive care, according to Hobart Royal Hospital.

The baby's heavily pregnant mother was killed when her car collided with an SUV that police say was stolen and speeding through the Tasmanian capital about 1am Friday.

The woman's 2-year-old son was also in the car at the time of the incident but survived, suffering only minor injuries.

After the crash, the woman, who was 32-weeks-pregnant, was rushed to hospital where her baby was delivered by doctors.

Since the birth, family of the newborn are said to be keeping a bedside vigil at the hospital.

The alleged driver of the SUV, a 15-year-old boy, was caught on Friday by police.

He faced court charged with manslaughter and stealing a car, the Nine Network reports.

The teen did not apply for bail and will next appear in court on February 2.

An online fundraising page set up in the wake of the tragedy has so far taken in more than $50,000, the Mercury reports.

Donations can also be made in a second fundraiser via MyState bank, BSB 807-009, Account No: 60207105.

Police have said support is being offered to the woman's family.

"This has been a traumatic experience for all of us; police officers involved, the family, the young people involved in the accident and the witnesses who were there and saw it," Commander Glenn Frame told the ABC.