The whole back-to-school fiasco is hard enough without the stress of packed lunches thrown in. That's why when you come across a recipe that's healthy and that your kids like, you cling to it for dear life.
Forgo sugary store-bought muesli bars and try making these chewy almond butter bars instead. Though a word of warning -- they may melt in summer lunch boxes so might be best for an after-school snack instead.
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 6 tbs honey
- 4 tbs almond butter
- 2 tbs cacao powder
- 3/4 cup almonds, roasted
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- Line a medium baking tin with greaseproof paper.
- Warm honey and almond butter to soften.
- Place dates in food processor and blend until a semi-smooth paste starts to form.
- Add nuts, oats, coconut and cacao powder. Pulse until just combined.
- Pour into honey and almond mix. Blitz until well mixed. Be careful not to overmix into a non-textured paste.
- Press into tray. Mix can be sticky so use wet hands when setting set in fridge.
Prep: 12 minutes. Set: 1 hour. Keeps in the fridge for up to one week.
From the Simple Nourishment Super Snacks cookbook