Advocates believe New South Wales has taken a huge step forward in tackling domestic violence after a pilot program proved successful.
The Suspect Target Management Plan has been put in place across the state following the trialling of the scheme by St George Local Area Command (LAC).
"We selected the 13 most frequent offenders in the area and would visit the families every couple of weeks and make sure they were complying with their conditions of their AVO's," senior constable Karlee Ball, domestic violence liaison at St George LAC, told The Huffington Post Australia.
Within a year, of the 13 offenders, four had been arrested, convicted and were serving time.
"We have a couple who we no longer have to manage because the violence completely stopped."
"There was one case where alcohol was an issue within the family. They went to rehab and they are now sober and we've had no more reports from that family," Ball said.
Police respond to over 140,000 incidents of domestic and family violence per year in NSW.
The senior constable said between, the hours of 6pm and 9pm the LAC receive the most calls reporting domestic violence incidents.
"It's when the family gets home from work and the kids get home from school activities -- when everyone is home together," she said.
CEO of White Ribbon Australia Libby Davies told The Huffington Post Australia the NSW government talks about the program as their first stage of their increased investment into domestic and family violence.
"We do know that one-off behaviour change programs do not necessarily mean long-term behavioural change. However, they are critical and this is a very positive move by the NSW government," Davies said.
White Ribbon Australia is the sole, national male-led campaign to put an end to men's violence against women.
The NSW Police force launched a powerful new video campaign on February 24, centred on the theme 'it’s not your fault'.
Davies said White Ribbon Australia would like to see a greater focus on primary prevention to stop domestic violence before it becomes entrenched.
"That means working across the community to change attitudes and behaviours of some men that feel it is their right to control and abuse women."
According to Moo Baulch, CEO of Domestic Violence NSW, the new program sends a strong message that police do not accept domestic violence and will be targeting individuals who are serial perpetrators.
"I think it’s a new way that police are going to be targeting the particularly high-volume offenders," Baulch told The Huffington Post Australia.
"I think things are really shifting about the way police are dealing with domestic violence," she said.
Davies said the Suspect Target Management Plan Program will provide support for women and their children and make perpetrators accountable.
"We must never lose the focus and the momentum we have now to address the issue of domestic and family violence," she said.
Ball said anything to promote family safety in the community was a step forward.
"We've had good results in St George and I think that will be carried over to statewide," Ball said.