Let's just take one brief moment to appreciate how delicious cheese is. Blue cheese, Gouda, cream cheese -- it don't matter which one because all cheese is the bee's knees. It's the cat's whiskers, if you will. And it's something we can all agree on.
While cheese and crackers is pretty darn amazing, cheese also deserves to be the star in a range of savoury dishes. From pizza to salads, cheese is the answer.
Baked Brie with Caramelised Plums
As if Brie wasn't good enough as is, you can bake your Brie with glorious results. Just imagine: the rind stays firm, while the inside becomes melted and gooey. Add a sweet layer of caramelised plums cooked in fragrant rosemary and orange and you, my friend, are set for a delightful cheese coma.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 plums, pitted -- or alternative summer fruit
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- ½ teaspoon rosemary, chopped
- Pinch of salt
- 425g of Président Double Brie
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Thinly slice plums. Melt butter in a small pan and add sugar, plums and orange juice. Cook and stir until sugar melts and juice begins to thicken, about 10 minutes. Add rosemary and a pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat and let cool for five minutes. Slice rind of one side of Brie and place cut side up on an oven-safe plate or platter with enough rim to catch extra juices. Arrange plums and juices on top of Brie and bake for 10-15 minutes. Serve with bread, crackers or toast.
Smoked Salmon, Brie and Strawberry Salad
Smoked salmon and cream cheese is classic combo and, no surprises here, smoked salmon also goes perfectly with Brie. If you're after a lighter, fresher cheese dish, try this Brie and smoked salmon salad with sweet strawberries and a balsamic and Dijon mustard dressing. *Drools*
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 300g mixed salad greens
- ½ pack Président Double Brie, cubed
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 12 strawberries, quartered
- 170g smoked salmon, cut in strips
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For salad dressing: mix olive oil, balsamic vinegar and mustard in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place greens, brie cubes, sliced onion, strawberries and salmon in a large bowl and toss well.
- Just before serving, toss with salad dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
Président Brie and Prosciutto Pizza
Move over, mozzarella, it's Brie's time to shine this time. This pizza, topped with prosciutto, garlic, olives and Brie, is guaranteed to make you swoon.
- 1 large ready-made pizza crust
- 125ml tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 slices of prosciutto
- 1cm slices of Président brie
- 8 Greek black olives, pitted
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Mix tomato sauce, puree and garlic in a bowl, then spread over the pizza base.
- Place prosciutto over the top, and top with olives and Brie slices.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
Recipes and images by Président Cheese.