We all have a roster of fruits and veggies that we know and love (or tolerate), but occasionally we’re thrown for a loop: what is this oddly colored root? Is that a tomatillo or a type of berry? Farmer’s markets, CSA boxes and friends’ gardens can all be the source of surprising bounty in summer months.
But for every fruit or veggie that you don’t encounter, there is a burst of nutrition left unused. As we move deep into summer, don’t let all that potential go to waste — try one of these obscure options for unusual flavor and complete nutrition.
- jiangjunyan via Getty Images
- Zoonar RF via Getty Images
- Ken Lucas/Visuals Unlimited, Inc. via Getty Images
- Maximilian Stock Ltd. via Getty Images
- Joy Skipper via Getty Images
- Dinodia Photos via Getty Images
- pilipphoto via Getty Images
- Tom Grill via Getty Images