As part of HuffPost's “Reclaim” project, HuffPost Taste will focus the entire month of July on simple ways you can reduce food waste in your own home.
A lot of us home cooks -- especially bakers -- find ourselves with leftover egg whites or yolks, depending on what we've been whipping up in the kitchen. We don't want to throw them out, because that would be a waste of good egg and good money. And we don't want to wait too long to use them either because once an egg is cracked it has a shorter shelf life, roughly 2-4 days.
Well, when life hands you leftover yolks you make lemon curd. Or ice cream. Or chocolate pudding. If an abundance of egg whites is the problem, now's the time to tackle French macarons -- or turn them into a healthy omelet. Here are a few more delicious ideas to make sure none of your eggs go to waste.
Egg White Ideas:
- PavlovaAdventures in Cooking
- MacaronHalf Baked Harvest
- Egg White OmeletGimme Some Oven
- Candied NutsDamn Delicious
- Meringue CookiesBakers Royale
- Angel Food CakeThe Faux Martha
- CocktailsBoulder Locavore
Egg Yolk Ideas:
- Lemon CurdCompletely Delicious
- Homemade MayonnaiseMelissa Goodwin/Food52
- Ice CreamHow Sweet It Is
- Hollandaise SauceCook The Story
- Key Lime PieSally's Baking Addiction
- Chocolate PuddingFive Heart Home
Sign the petition below and join thousands of Americans to help pass the Food Recovery Act.
More Stories Like This: