WORLD
05/08/2016 2:13 AM AEST | Updated 05/08/2016 2:18 AM AEST

Foreign Tourists Wounded In Afghanistan Ambush

Three Americans were among those in the convoy when it was attacked in Herat province.

Afghan policemen train at a live firing range in the central province of Bamiyan August 22, 2011. REUTERS/Ahmad Masood (AFGHANISTAN - Tags: SOCIETY CRIME LAW IMAGES OF THE DAY)

KABUL (Reuters) - At least six foreign tourists and their driver were wounded in Afghanistan on Thursday, in an attack by gunmen on their convoy as it passed through western Herat province, government officials said.

The group of at least a dozen travelers included eight British citizens, three Americans, and one German, but the nationalities of the casualties was not clear, said Jilani Farhad, a spokesman for Herat's governor.

He said security forces had been dispatched to the scene.