Every four years, for two glorious weeks, the world comes together to sit on couches and eat while its best athletes break records, demonstrate their unbelievable abilities and cement their status as global icons.
As we’ve watched this year with wonder and wine, we’ve become used to seeing our brightest stars at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio looking a certain way: Kerri Walsh Jennings in a braid, two-piece suit, visor and sunglasses; Simone Biles in a flashy sequined leotard; and Michael Phelps in sweats, earning an almost comical succession of gold medals. You get the picture.
So, in an attempt to feel like we have anything at all in common with these superhumans, we’ve gathered photos of some of our favorite Olympians in regular clothing that ― with the exception of Ryan Lochte’s shiny blazer below ― we might actually get to wear, too.
Unless, of course, we decide to drop our life savings on an Olympic gymnastics leotard (hey, it could happen). Do you even recognize your favorite athletes out of uniform?
- Kerri Walsh JenningsAllen Berezovsky via Getty Images
- Simone ManuelJoe Scarnici via Getty Images
- Alex MorganMichael Kovac via Getty Images
- David BoudiaD Dipasupil via Getty Images
- Simone BilesMichael Loccisano via Getty Images
- April RossAllen Berezovsky via Getty Images
- Aly RaismanRob Kim via Getty Images
- Ryan LochteJeff Zelevansky via Getty Images
- Gabby DouglasJim Spellman via Getty Images
- Justin GatlinBennett Raglin via Getty Images
- Missy FranklinDave Kotinsky via Getty Images
- Katie LedeckyMichael Loccisano via Getty Images
- Hope SoloPaul Morigi via Getty Images
- Serena WilliamsStuart C. Wilson via Getty Images
- Nathan AdrianJoe Scarnici via Getty Images
- Michael PhelpsJoe Scarnici via Getty Images
For more Olympics coverage: