13/10/2016 11:27 AM AEDT | Updated 13/10/2016 11:29 AM AEDT

Stephanie Scott's Killer Sentenced To Life In Jail

Vincent Stanford has been sentenced to life behind bars.

Fairfax: Peter Rae
Vincent Stanford is taken by police from the Griffith courthouse on Tuesday.

Vincent Stanford has been jailed for life for the horrific rape and murder of NSW school teacher Stephanie Scott.

Stanford, 25, was handed the life sentence for killing the 26-year-old English and drama teacher at Leeton High School in the NSW Riverina on Easter Sunday in 2015.

Stanford had pleaded guilty to the shocking crime, telling police he dragged Scott, a teacher at the school, into a store room then beat her with his fists and stabbed her with knife until she was dead.

Adding to the tragedy was that Scott had been due to marry her fiance Aaron Leeson-Woolley six days later.

Hulme, sentencing Stanford at a Supreme Court hearing in Griffith, handed down a sentence of 15 years with no non-parole period for the charge of aggravated sexual assault and a life sentence for the charge of murder.

In sentencing Stanford on Thursday, Justice Hulme said Stanford's police interview in which he admitted the killing showed an utter lack of remorse and emotion.

"This is a case of great heinousness," Hulme said, adding that the words "atrocious, detestable (and) extremely wicked" were apt in the case.

He also said he had "grave concerns" that the level of planning and premeditation in the attack had not been fully disclosed by the offender.

The attack, Hulme said, demonstrated "extreme brutality" upon a defenseless young woman of modest size who had no way of escaping.

Hulme said to make sure Scott was dead Stanford stabbed her with a very large knife, before having sexual intercourse with her.

The judge labeled Stanford's actions after the killing, including keeping Scott's bra as a souvenir and photographing her charred remains, as "despicable".

"This is a case of murder ... that clearly falls within the worst category," he added.

Earlier in the sentencing, Hulme said Stanford stalked three other females before the murder, possessing 1805 images of one 12-yr-old, and that he had entertained thoughts of killing someone since he was a child.

Stanford reportedly kept his head bowed throughout the sentencing as members of Scott's family looked on from the public gallery.

Members of the gallery and Scott's family could be heard to say "yes" and "good stuff," immediately following the sentence, NewsCorp Australia reports.

Outside the court, Scott's mother addressed media, saying the family was still struggling with what had happened to Stephanie.

"Losing her has shattered so many lives and we are all struggling with the consequences," the ABC reports her as saying.

The sentence follows a special hearing that this week aired shocking material related to the case.

On Tuesday, the Griffith court was played a chilling video interview with Stanford and police at Junee Correctional Centre on April 11, 2015, soon after the killing.

In the recording Stanford reportedly told police: "I think I went a little nuts. I just could not stop myself."

The hearing also heard Stanford's mental health was assessed twice, with both assessments diagnosing him with autism spectrum disorder, AAP reported.

It was also told that phone and computer searches of Stanford's device, two months before the murder, included "bride rape" and "bride killing".

Vincent Standford's twin brother, Marcus Stanford, was sentenced in August to one year and three months' jail time after pleading guilty to being an accessory after the fact to murder.