Butternut squash is one of the highlights of fall. It makes the creamiest of soups, tastes great roasted and served in salads and gives pasta a wholesome feel. The only problem is that peeling the sucker makes none of that feel worth it; the task of getting beneath the tough skin can be so challenging it makes us think we might actually hate fall and all that it brings.
Sure, pre-cut squash is available at some grocery stores, but let’s be honest, the stuff is terrible. Dried out, it doesn’t even resemble the orange-fleshed gourd we adore. There’s just no way around it ― if you want the butternut, you have to peel it.
BUT, before you lunge at it with a peeler, there’s something you should know: if you microwave it for a few minutes first, it’ll be infinitely easier to peel. Trust us, this is not a step to skip.
This is what you need to do:
- First, poke it all over with a fork. The holes created from the tines of the fork will allow steam to escape to ensure the gourd doesn’t explode in your microwave.
- Second, slice off the top and bottom.
- Third, plate it and microwave for three and a half to five minutes ― depending on the size.
- Fourth, let the squash cool and delight in how easily the peel comes off with a vegetable peeler.
- Fifth, cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Sixth, cut it into cubes and cook as desired. It’s that easy!
Watch the video above to see how it’s done. And then, here are some ideas for what to do with your newly peeled squash. (FYI, some of the recipes let you skip the peeling step altogether.)
- 1Spicy Green Chile Turkey, Butternut Squash And Crispy Sage EnchiladasHalf Baked Harvest
- 2Roasted Butternut Squash With Brown Sugar BaconThe Clever Carrot
- 3Black Bean Butternut Sliders With Chipotle KetchupHow Sweet It Is
- 4Cranberry, Butternut And Brussels Sprout Brie Skillet NachosHalf Baked Harvest
- 5Polenta Crostini With Butternut Squash, Ricotta And SageEdible Perspective
- 6Roasted Butternut With Black Garlic and MisoFeasting From Home
- 7Thai Curried Butternut Squash SoupCookie + Kate
- 8Spiced Almond Pancakes With Candied Butternut SquashHalf Baked Harvest
- 9Butternut Squash Tikka MasalaFeasting at Home
- 10Butternut Sage SconesFood52
- 11Butternut TabboulehCookie + Kate
- 12Roasted Butternut Tikka MasalaFeasting From Home
- 13Easy Butternut Squash ShellsHow Sweet It Is
- 14Miso Roasted Butternut SquashFoodie Crush
- 15Butternut Squash Stuffed Mushrooms With Goat Cheese And Balsamic GlazeThe Clever Carrot
- 16Creamy Butternut Squash Linguine With Fried SageCookie + Kate
- 17Simple Caramelized Butternut Squash And Kale Florentine LasagnaHalf Baked Harvest
- 18Curried Butternut Squash, Brocoli, Cheddar And Goat Cheese SoupHalf Baked Harvest
- 19Butternut Squash Skillet LasagnaHow Sweet It Is
- 20Spiced Butternut Squash Cupcakes With Maple Cream Cheese FrostingGimme Some Oven
- 21Butternut Squash, Brussels Sprout, And Bread Stuffing With ApplesFood52
- 22ABC Kitchen’s Butternut Squash On ToastFood52
- 23Kale Salad With Butternut Squash, Chickpeas And Tahini DressingFoodie Crush
- 24Cappellacci di Zucca (Butternut Squash Cappellacci)Food52
- 25Winter Salad Of Roasted Golden Beets And Butternut SquashVerses from my Kitchen
- 26Artusi’s Butternut Squash Pie (Torta di Zucca Gialla)Food52
- 27Roasted Butternut Squash SoupNaturally Ella
- 28Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Pulled Pork TacosThe Law Student's Wife
- 29Parmesan Sage Crusted Butternut Squash GaletteHow Sweet It Is
- 30Butternut Squash Carbonara With Fried Sage Leavesbell'allimento
- 31Kale And Ricotta Stuffed Shells With Butternut Squash SauceCompletely Delicous
- 32Spicy Goat Cheese And Butternut Squash TrianglesAdventures In Cooking
- 33Maple Roasted Butternut Squash Freekeh Salad With KaleThe Law Student's Wife
- 34Roasted Butternut Squash And Turkey ChiliFoodie Crush
- 35Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Ravioli With Browned ButterHalf Baked Harvest