One of the most delicious, deceptively simple breakfasts you can get at a cafe is house-made granola with yoghurt, seasonal fruit and a drizzle of honey or maple syrup. It's a combo that just works, particularly because the granola is always perfectly crunchy, sweet and nutty. And the clusters. Ohh, the clusters.
If you've ever gone to buy a packet of said impeccable cafe granola, your heart probably missed a few beats when you saw its price, which is usually up near the $20 mark. And, let's face it, supermarket granola just does not cut it after you've had the pleasure of trying those heavenly maple clusters.
Good news -- you can make cafe-style granola in all its crunchy, sweet, nutty and clustery glory at home. In under 40 minutes. With simple ingredients. And it's bomb.
In fact, we can guarantee you will finish the whole jar in a few days. Not kidding.
Here's how to make the granola of your dreams.
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder)
1. Preheat oven to 170°C.
2. Place almonds in a food processor or blender, and pulse until it becomes a very course almond flour (there should still be whole almonds).
3. Place rolled oats, almond crumb, cinnamon and salt in a bowl, and stir together. Make a well in the middle for the wet mixture.
4. Heat coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla extract in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until well combined.
5. Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until the oats are completely coated.
6. Spread the granola evenly onto a baking tray lined with baking paper. The granola will be a thick layer.
7. Bake for 30-35 minutes (depending on how crispy and golden you like it), stirring halfway at 15 minutes. Keep a close eye on it as the granola can burn quickly.
8. Remove from oven and and let the granola cool completely. Don't stir or break up granola pieces yet -- this will give you nice granola clusters.
9. Once cool, using your hands, break the granola into clusters (whichever size you prefer). Store in an airtight container or jar.
10. Serve with fruit and yoghurt, or milk of your choice.
Suggestions: If you like sultanas in your granola, add them after the granola has cooled to prevent the sultanas from burning. For a chocolate twist, add in chocolate chips when granola has cooled.