Quinoa has risen to the top when it comes to alternative choices to rice. Touted as a superfood (a term that doesn’t have a regulated definition), many folks wax poetic about quinoa’s positive attributes ― it is, after all, the best source of complete protein for vegetarians.
We’re on board, except for one major flaw: sometimes quinoa tastes like dirt. We rinse it, drain it, rinse it again. Bring a pot of water to a boil, simmer the quinoa for over 15 minutes, take a bite and ... dirt.
If this experience sounds familiar you might be asking yourself, “Why is my quinoa so dirty?”
We have good news ― it’s not. That off flavor you may taste is not dirt, it’s not soap, it’s just saponin.
Saponin is a naturally occurring chemical that’s found in many plant structures. It coats every tiny grain of quinoa and serves an important purpose ― to ward off insects and deter birds ― but it tastes bitter, even soapy. That’s the flavor that most folks mistake for dirt. Pre-rinsed quinoa helps get rid of that taste, but not always completely. While you might not like the flavor lingering on your quinoa, at least you know it’s not dirt.
To minimize the dirt taste, rinse quinoa under running water in a fine mesh sieve for at least a minute, moving the quinoa around with your fingers until the water runs clean.
Once you’ve done this you should be in the clear. You’ll be ready to add it to your breakfast routine with the recipes below ― it’s a nice change from eggs, and still will help you start the day with lots of protein.
- 1Baked Breakfast Quinoa With Plums And PistachiosHow Sweet It Is
- 2Whole Wheat Banana Quinoa PancakesAmbitious Kitchen
- 3Overnight Autumn Breakfast QuinoaHow Sweet Eats
- 4Quinoa Breakfast BarsWell Plated
- 5Berry Quinoa Breakfast BowlNot Enough Cinnamon
- 6Dark Chocolate Quinoa Breakfast BowlMinimalist Baker
- 7Greek Quinoa Dinner Omelets With Feta And TzatzikiHalf Baked Harvest
- 87-Ingredient Quinoa GranolaMinimalist Baker
- 9Berry Quinoa Power BowlsDamn Delicious
- 10Quinoa Porridge With Plums In SyrupWhat Should I Eat For Breakfast Today
- 11Crunchy Quinoa And Dark Chocolate Brown Butter GranolaHow Sweet It Is
- 12Crunchy Quinoa Baked Oatmeal With Caramelized Strawberries And CoconutHow Sweet It Is
- 13Quinoa Breakfast SkilletHow Sweet It Is
- 14Sweet Potato, Quinoa And Dark Chocolate Coconut Crumble Crunch MuffinsHalf Baked Harvest
- 15Coconut Banana Oats Bowl With Crunchy Black Sesame Quinoa Cereal And MangoHalf Baked Harvest
- 16Quinoa Cooked With Strawberries In Orange JuiceWhat Should I Eat For Breakfast Today
- 17Mocha Latte Breakfast QuinoaFit Foodie Finds
- 18Chocolate Chip Blueberry Breakfast QuinoaHow Sweet It Is
- 19Clean Eating Breakfast MuffinsNot Enough Cinnamon
- 20Blueberry Breakfast QuinoaDamn Delicious
- 21Quinoa Porridge With Roasted Rhubarb And StrawberriesNot Enough Cinnamon
- 22Quinoa Fruit SaladDamn Delicious
- 23Coconut Breakfast QuinoaA Beautiful Mess
- 24Yuzu Poppy Seed Quinoa PancakesTartine and Apron Strings
- 25Quinoa Hash BrownsA Beautiful Mess