Sting has reopened the Bataclan concert hall in Paris with a charity performance a year after the deadly jihadist attack that killed 90 people at the venue.
The iconic performer took the stage at the Paris venue, located at the city's 11th arrondissement, overnight and dedicated a minute's silence to those massacred by Islamic State in November last year, the BBC reports.
The British musician reportedly told the audience, including some survivors, that it was right to honour those who lost their lives and celebrate life.
Sting transforms The Bataclan back into what it always was. A concert venue. pic.twitter.com/sps9pdsSEx— Nick Garnett (@NickGarnettBBC) November 12, 2016
"We will not forget them," Sting is quoted as telling the crowd in French, before starting his hour-long set.
How Sting opened tonight's concert at The Bataclan. He walked on stage and spoke in French. Translation: pic.twitter.com/PRQ53y38De— Nick Garnett (@NickGarnettBBC) November 12, 2016
According to media reports, the Bataclan put 1,000 Sting concert tickets on sale and they were sold out in "less than 30 minutes". Attendees reportedly included Paris locals and people from right around the world.
Music icon Sting reopens Bataclan concert hall one year after massacre in Paris https://t.co/JNHxAKpp3F— FRANCE 24 (@FRANCE24) November 12, 2016
Concert-goers told the ABC they wanted to attend to prove to themselves that the terrorists had not won and that life in Paris was returning to normal.
Sting is said to be donating money from the show to charities nominated by survivors.
In attacks that shocked the world, co-ordinated assaults across Paris left 130 people dead and hundreds more injured on November 13, 2015 .
Sting reopens Bataclan with moment of silence for Paris attacks victims: "We will not forget them" https://t.co/xcpALUqObt— TIME (@TIME) November 12, 2016
As part of commemorations a year on from the attacks President Francois Hollande is expected to visit the Bataclan to unveil plaques and small memorials.