There's more evidence today than ever before that sleep ― and more specifically getting enough of it ― is a key pillar of staying healthy.
Snoozing seven to nine hours per night (what experts recommend) has been shown to help with everything from learning to focus to keeping emotions in check to avoiding catching colds to regulating metabolism to preventing chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, heart disease and some cancers.
And while data suggests more than a third of Americans get less than they should, personal testimonials ― like these below from top athletes and other performers ― hint that others are waking up to all the reasons getting enough sleep can be so helpful.
Here's what some of the biggest sports and entertainment stars have said about sleep:
1. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons quarterback
2. Lin Manuel Miranda, actor and Hamilton creator
3. Serena Williams, professional tennis player
4. Kim Cattrall, actress
5. Tom Brady, New England Patriots quarterback
6. Novak Djokovic, professional tennis player
7. Jennifer Aniston, actress
Sarah DiGiulio is The Huffington Post's sleep reporter. You can contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.