Victims of the deadly warehouse fire at the Ghost Ship artist collective in Oakland, California, are slowly being identified as officials sift through the wreckage of one of the deadliest fires in the city’s history.
(See the faces and names of the victims below)
Authorities were removing debris from the site “bucket by bucket” and identifying victims by fingerprint after the warehouse roof collapsed during the fire, they said. About 75 percent of the debris removal process was complete, Oakland Deputy Fire Chief Darin White said Monday.
“Our first priority is the humane and compassionate removal of the victims’ [remains],” Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf said in a Sunday news conference.
Officials had identified at least 33 victims and released 17 of their names as of Monday morning.
Sgt. Kelly confirmed that teenagers and foreign nationals from Asia and Europe were among the dead.
“We have some children who are 17 years old, possibly younger,” Kelly said. He noted that the tragedy hit close to home: “One of our deputies that we work with lost his son in the fire.”
Sgt. Kelly noted there were several trailers inside the building that appeared to be makeshift residences.
The three-alarm fire broke out late Friday night during a dance party at the Ghost Ship artists’ collective warehouse. Eyewitnesses described flames pouring out of the multi-level building. The roof ultimately collapsed onto the warehouse’s second floor.
Officials said there were about 50 people inside. They anticipated dozens of casualties, making the blaze one of the deadliest fires in Oakland’s history.
The cause of the fire is still unknown, though the city had recently received complaints about “blight and unpermitted construction” at the warehouse, according to officials.
Names, ages and cities confirmed by the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office Coroner’s Bureau.
Hayley Miller contributed reporting.
This article has been updated to include new details, including the identification of victims of the fire.
- Cash Askew, 22 - Oakland, CaliforniaCash Askew Facebook
- Nick Gomez-Hall, 25 - Coronado, CaliforniaNick GomezHallFacebook
- Sara Hoda, 30 - Walnut Creek, CaliforniaSara Hoda Facebook
- Travis Hough, 35 - Oakland, CaliforniaTravis Hough Facebook
- Donna Kellogg, 32 - Oakland, California
- Brandon Chase Wittenauer, 32 - Hayward, California
- David Cline, 24 - Oakland, California
- Em Bohlka, 33 - Oakland, California
- Micah Danemayer, 28 - Oakland, CaliforniaMicah Danemayer Facebook
- Chelsea Faith Dolan, 33 - San Francisco, CaliforniaCherushii Music Facebook
- Feral Pines, 29 - Berkeley, California
- Alex Ghassan, 35 - Oakland, CaliforniaAlex Ghassan Facebook
- Michela Gregory, 20 - San Francisco, CaliforniaMichela Gregory Facebook
- Edmond Lapine, 34 - Oakland, CaliforniaEdmond Lapine Facebook
- Jennifer Morris, 21 - Foster City, CaliforniaJenny Morris Facebook
- Benjamin Runnels, 32 - Oakland, California
- Jennifer Kiyomi Taouye, 31 - Oakland, California