Former One National senator Rod Culleton is in hospital receiving X-rays after allegedly being involved in an altercation outside a Perth court on Tuesday.
A spokeswoman for Culleton told the Huffington Post Australia that a man approached him out the front of the Perth Magistrates Court and the former senator was knocked over, causing injuries that led to him needing to go to hospital.
"There was an ambush out the front of court by a man, Rod was knocked over and injured to the point of him needing to go to hospital for X-rays," she said.
"Federal police are now investigating with witness statements taken this afternoon."
According to the ABC, Culleton had been in court seeking a restraining order against two men, Frank Bertola and Bruce Bell.
A WA Police spokeswoman told HuffPost Australia that around 10:45am on Tuesday they received reports of an incident that occurred between two men in the vicinity of the court and a 52-year-old man had made his own way to Royal Perth Hospital.
The spokeswoman said police are now conducting inquiries into the incident and no charges have been made at this stage.
More to come.