So we’ve taken the first step and joined a gym, but now we actually have to go and do some exercise because life is cruel and demanding.
But no matter, because by this time next week we’ll look great in a bikini, so it will all be worth it. Right...?
Here are 10 things that fall slightly short of our expectations when it comes to working out.
1. Expectation: You’ll jump out of bed and jog to the gym as an enjoyable warm up.
Reality: You miss 90% of your classes because you’re hungover.
2. Expectation: You’ll look like a Victoria’s Secrets model after one week of exercise.
Reality: Nope, still fat.
3. Expectation: You’ll own a whole wardrobe of lycra that makes you feel a million dollars on the treadmill.
Reality: You have one pair of leggings that you always forget to wash between sessions.
4. Expectation: You’ll have a whole posse of workout buddies to gossip with.
Reality: You get trapped by the naked pensioner in the changing rooms.
5. Expectation: You’ll learn how to use all the machines and use them with confidence.
Reality: You lurk in the corner trying to subtly watch the person before you.
6. Expectation: You’ll become someone who can fit a quick PT session in their lunch break.
Reality: You hide in Pret and hope no one notices you aren’t sweaty when you return.
7. Expectation: You’ll have a really good looking personal trainer who you get to flirt with for hours on end.
Reality: You wish.
8. Expectation: You’ll become a natural runner, someone who loves jogging.
Reality: You feel physically sick at the thought of a speed above walking pace.
9. Expectation: You’ll have impressed colleagues commenting on your pert buns.
Reality: They ask about the limp you’ve developed.
10. Expectation: You’ll grab a green juice at a smoothie bar after your work out.
Reality: You eat a whole tube of Jaffa cakes, because you’ve earned it.
But keep up the good work, you’ll get there in the end.