Slovenia may not be high on the bucket list of the average traveler, but it should be. This treasure trove of forests, lakes, mountains and precious little towns offers more charm than many major European destinations, with fewer crowds to get in the way.
That may be changing: Slovenia is gaining recognition as the homeland of first lady Melania Trump. Overnight stays by U.S. travelers were up more than 30 percent this March from the same time last year, Reuters notes. They say Trump is part of the cause.
Come to think of it, Slovenia could be the ideal place to settle if you’re looking to escape President Donald Trump permanently. Here’s why:
- 1Slovenia is home to the fairytale island of your dreams.domin_domin via Getty Images
- 2There are mind-boggling caves...technotr via Getty Images
- 3...that lead to mind-boggling castles.JayKay57 via Getty Images
- 4This city riverfront will calm your soul.Photography Aubrey Stoll via Getty Images
- 5And the rivers are downright spectacular.Figurative Speech via Getty Images
- 6Wine tasting awaits.Peter Zelei Images via Getty Images
- 7And so do quaint cobbled streets.Elena Pejchinova via Getty Images
- 8The hiking is top-notch.glcheng via Getty Images
- 9And the skiing is perfect for beginners.choja via Getty Images
- 10Did we mention nature?!Peter Zelei Images via Getty Images