31/03/2017 3:41 PM AEDT | Updated 31/03/2017 3:56 PM AEDT

Stocco Fugitive Father And Son Sentenced To 40 Years' In Jail For Murder

The pair led police on an eight-year manhunt for their crimes.

Police Media
Gino and Mark Stocco have been sentenced to jail for their crimes.

Mark and Gino Stocco have been sentenced to a maximum of 40 years in jail over the murder of a NSW man and a string of other offences after an eight-year manhunt by NSW Police.

Gino, 59, received a non-parole period of 28 years while his son Mark, 37, was handed a 30 year non-parole sentence. The pair pleaded guilty to the murder of 68-year-old Rosario Cimone and various other offences that included violent crimes and property offences initially in Queensland.

They led police on a manhunt for eight years across three states, although their lives on the run spiraled in 2015, when NSW police closed in on the pair near Wagga Wagga, resulting in a short-lived stand-off where the Stuccos fired at police.

After the hunt involved hundreds of police, helicopters and road blocks, the duo were eventually surrounded and arrested. The body of Cimone was found nearby, hastily covered with branches, with his money and shoes removed.

Justice David Davies said the pair had shown no remorse for their crimes and referred to a psychiatrist's report that said they had developed an "anti-authority belief system" from years living isolated, itinerant lives in the bush, according to the Herald Sun.

Cimone's daughter Maria Perre said her family were haunted by the "absolute horror" of their father's final moments, while in the NSW Supreme Court ahead of the sentencing.

"We just can't see how we will overcome his loss -- and the absolute horror of the way he died," she told a sentencing hearing.

"Losing dad had a profound impact on all of us and was many things to many people, he was a wonderful father."


Polling, News, Analysis
All the latest from the 2020 presidential election from HuffPost reporters in the US and around the world