14/04/2017 7:28 AM AEST | Updated 14/04/2017 1:43 PM AEST

15-Year-Old Boy Dead After Being Shot In Head In Sydney's West

He died shortly after 11am.

Police officers are seen on in front of the house.
Daniel Munoz/Fairfax Media
Police officers are seen on in front of the house.

A 15-year-old boy who was shot in the head while at home in Sydney's southwest has died.

Emergency services located the teenage boy with a gunshot wound to his head at a home on Moresby Avenue, Glenfield, about 6.10am on Friday.

The victim was treated at the scene by paramedics at the scene then rushed to Westmead Hospital in a critical condition, but died shortly after 11am.

The teen was at home with his mother and siblings at the time of the shooting, Network Nine reports.

A crime scene has been established and a canvass of the neighbourhood will be conducted, police said.

Police are looking for a man described as being aged between 18 and 20, with a thin build, who was last seen wearing grey tracksuit pants, a navy blue hooded jacket and white joggers.

It is believed the wanted man may be armed.

Police told reporters that the attack was believed to have been targeted.

"He's forced entry to the victim's room," Detective Chief Inspector Mark Brett said.

Earlier, a 29-year-old man took himself to hospital after being shot in the legs and buttocks in western Sydney.

Police said they were called to Telopea street, Punchbowl, about 8pm Friday after reports a man had been shot. However, police couldn't find anyone when they arrived at the scene.

A short time later, a 29-year-old man, who is known to authorities, turned up at Bankstown Hospital with gunshot wounds to his legs and buttocks, police said in a statement.

The man has since been transferred to another hospital and is expected to undergo surgery.

Local police established a crime scene and have commenced an investigation into the shooting.

Police are urging any witnesses or anyone with information to contact Crime Stoppers.