09/05/2017 2:28 PM AEST | Updated 09/05/2017 2:29 PM AEST

Woman Allegedly Set On Fire By Fiance Will Be In An Induced Coma For Months

Nicole Evans, 20, has deep burns to more than 50 per cent of her body.

Matthew John Davey, 34, has pleaded 'not guilty' to setting Nicole Evans alight.

The 20-year-old Tasmanian woman allegedly set alight by her fiance in April will be kept an induced coma in hospital for months, say police.

Nicole Evans' condition remains critical and life threatening.

She has already undergone surgery at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne to treat the burns which cover more than 50 per cent of her body, including her face.

The young woman was in a backyard shed having a domestic dispute with fiance Matthew John Davey in the northern Hobart suburb of Chigwell, when he allegedly doused Evans with an accelerant and then set her alight, police will allege.

Evans was airlifted straight to Melbourne for treatment following the alleged assaulted.

Davey was also treated for burns to his hands while under police guard at Royal Hobart Hospital following the ANZAC Day incident, with the ABC reporting that he appeared in court with heavily bandaged hands.

He has pleaded 'not guilty' to causing grievous bodily harm and three counts of assault.

Nicole's friend describes her as "a true beauty" and "a gorgeous person".

Tasmania Police said there was a history of family violence, but there were no family violence orders in place at the time of the assault.

Detectives, forensic police, forensic scientists and Tasmania Fire Service Scene Examiners combed the "outbuilding" where the fire took place and will present evidence in court.

A friend of the young woman, Leslie Chambers, has set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds for her medical care.

She describes Evans as "a precious daughter, a sister, an aunt and my beautiful soul of a friend".

"Not only will she need endless surgery, treatments, physical and mental help if she pulls through this horrible and heartbreaking tragedy but it will be ongoing for the rest of her life and also for her family," she writes.

Evans' family have asked for privacy until they are able to make a statement about the incident.

Davey did not apply for bail and will remain in police custody until his next court appearance on June 13.