23/05/2017 3:31 PM AEST | Updated 23/05/2017 4:46 PM AEST

How The Ariana Grande Concert Attack Unfolded, In Pictures

Nineteen people in Manchester are dead following the suspected terror attack.

Chilling stories of survivors are emerging following the death of 19 people in a suspected terror attack at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, in northern England.

Thousands of people, including many young girls, were gathered to hear the US pop singer perform at Manchester Arena, which has a capacity of 21,000 people. Just as Ariana Grande was leaving the stage, a huge explosion shook the arena.

You can find more details about the suspected terror attack and the response effort here, but here's a snapshot of the horrific events, as we understand them so far.

Here's the moment the blast went off, captured on camera:

Following the initial sounds of the blast, some security personnel report the "loud bang" was merely some of the hundreds of pink balloons bursting, or sound equipment breaking.

Nevertheless, panic mounts inside the packed stadium as concert-goers rush screaming to the exits, forming a crush as they try to leave:

At 10:33pm (7:33am AEST), emergency services receive reports of an explosion at the arena. Police cars and ambulances race to the scene:

Stringer . / Reuters
Sirens sound as emergency services flood the Manchester Arena in the minutes following the blast.

PAUL ELLIS via Getty Images
Medics rush to help the injured.

Concert-goers begin pouring out of the stadium. In the confusion, families and friends are separated.

Calls start going out on social media for missing loved ones.

Christopher Furlong via Getty Images
A young girl and a man leave the Manchester Arena, where 19 people died in an explosion.

Christopher Furlong via Getty Images
Shocked concert-goers.

Stringer . / Reuters
Concert-goers flee the stadium. Many try to make contact with family members or friends gone missing in the panic following the explosion.

Christopher Furlong via Getty Images
Police escort concert-goers away and begin cordoning off the area. Initially, there are fears other explosive devices may be planted near the arena, but none were found.

Paramedics and other emergency services treat the injured at the scene.

Over the course of the evening, 59 people are taken to six hospital across Greater Manchester, while many others are treated at the scene.

There are unconfirmed reports of shrapnel wounds.

Getty Images
Paramedics treat the injured outside Victoria Station, directly below the arena. The station has been closed off following the suspected terror attack, stranding concert-attendees in central Manchester.

Andrew Yates / Reuters
Concert-goers wrapped in thermal blankets stand outside the Manchester Arena, where US singer Ariana Grande had been performing just minutes before.

Dave Thompson via Getty Images
A person is wheeled away on a stretcher outside Victoria Station, close the Manchester Arena. A total of 59 people were taken to hospital following the attack.

Meanwhile, police work on securing the area -- getting everyone out, cordoning off surrounding streets and locating any other potential explosive devices.

Chief Constable Ian Hopkins of the Greater Manchester Police says "We are currently treating this as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise."

Senior national Counter-Terrorism officers start assembling in London, according to BBC Home Affairs Correspondent Daniel Sandford.

Getty Images
Police take statements from eye witnesses.

Anadolu Agency via Getty Images
Police close off the roads leading to the Manchester Arena stadium. With the Arena car park closed and the station in lockdown, thousands of concert-goers are stranded. Taxis offer free rides and locals open their doors to people unable to get home.

Just before 2am local time (11am AEST), police set off a controlled explosion at the nearby Cathedral Garden, after fears of a "suspicious package". But it turned out to be abandoned clothing.

Andrew Yates / Reuters
Armed police officers guard the area, which has been cleared of civilians and cordoned off.

The Mayor of Manchester, Andy Burham, described the attack as "a terrible night for our great city".

Victoria Station will remain closed all Tuesday, and police remain at the scene, investigating what was behind the deadly explosion.

Police have set up an emergency contact number for people trying to reach loved ones who are still missing.

Meanwhile, the people of Manchester have banded together in solidarity, with residents, organisations and hotels in Manchester offering their homes to people who need a place to stay.