CANBERRA -- Immigration Minister Peter Dutton has taken aim at the ABC, attacking the Q&A program as a "waste of taxpayers money" and seemingly claiming victory in the wake of the broadcaster's axing of Muslim activist Yassmin Abdel-Magied, saying "one down, many to go".
The Minister has previously accused the ABC -- and Fairfax -- of conducting a "jihad" to bring down the Coalition Government, but he has doubled down on Thursday in the wake of a Q&A which allegedly downplayed the threat posed by Islamic fundamentalism and inspired an article which has been roundly condemned for suggesting the ABC should have been bombed instead of Manchester.
But the Minister has little sympathy for the ABC.
"It is a cultural problem at the ABC and the Board needs to deal with it," Dutton told Sydney radio 2GB on Thursday.
"(Host) Tony Jones .. his behaviour is a disgrace."
The latest move on the national broadcaster comes as conservative media outlet Quadrant belatedly removed a controversial, but amended article which originally said the Manchester suicide bomber should have instead detonated himself in the ABC's Ultimo headquarters, "had there been a shred of justice".
Quadrant's editor in chief Keith Windschuttle has also apologised.
The thesis is that Monday night's program, including panelists such as The Guardian's Mona Chalabi and theoretical physicist and cosmologist Lawrence Krauss, downplayed the threat posed by terrorism with Krauss saying people were "more likely to be killed in the United States by a refrigerator".
Dutton's Cabinet colleague, Communications Minister Mitch Fifield has described Quadrant article as a "sick and unhinged" and it has led to increased security for ABC staff, but the Immigration Minister said the ABC needs to be fixed.
"I actually think there is a fundamental problem with the ABC particularly around Q&A," Dutton said. "The composition of the audience, the selection of these people on the panel and the direction it is given by Tony Jones."
"You're right, you have raised my blood pressure," he told host Ray Hadley.
"I don't watch it. Honestly it is a waste of taxpayers' money."
Dutton appeared victorious when presented with the recent news that the ABC is axing the Australia Wide program hosted by Yassmin Abdel-Magied. The official line is that the dumping of the program is part of the ABC's ongoing restructure, but it comes a month after outrage over Anzac Day comments made on Facebook.
Abdel-Magied apologised and removed the post which urged people marking Anzac Day to also remember the suffering of refugees on Manus Island and Nauru. It said: "Lest we forget (Manus, Nauru, Syria, Palestine".
The Muslim activist remained in sights of conservative commentators and politicians and the loss of her taxpayer funded job is being praised by Dutton with a warning.
"That's a good start. One down, many to go," the Minister said.
The ABC is discussing future opportunities at the ABC with Abdel-Magied.
Click below to follow HuffPost Australia Politics on Facebook!
ALSO ON HUFFPOST AUSTRALIA