You'd better know what you're looking for before walking into the beer section of a liquor store or sidle up to a bar. The options are dizzying, and if you don't know the difference between a pale ale and a lager there's a pretty good chance you're going to walk out with something you don't really want to drink (or pull a Scott Walker and settle for a commercial beer when there are far superior options).
While you may think "a beer is a beer," that's not at all true. There are tons of characteristics that distinguish one type of beer from another, so before you waste another dollar on a beer you don't like, it's a good idea to understand the qualities you like and don't like in each style.
- 1India Pale Ale, More Popularly Known As IPAAndy Cross via Getty Images
- 2Pale AleJustin Sullivan via Getty Images
- 3PilsnerJoe Raedle via Getty Images
- 4Wheat BeerThe AGE via Getty Images
- 5Brown AlePortland Press Herald via Getty Images
- 6Porterzmurciuk_k via Getty Images
- 7StoutsReuters Photographer / Reuters
- 8Sour BeersAndrew Lahodynskyj via Getty Images