InterNations, a global network that helps expats connect with each other, just published its annual Expat Insider survey, which details the best countries to live and work in abroad. The company surveyed more than 12,500 expats in 188 different countries to rate their new homes in five categories: quality of life, ease of settling in, work, family life and personal finance. Within each category, respondents rated their new home countries on up to 43 more specific factors, such as how safe they feel to the ease of making friends.
The overall rankings might surprise you: Respondents gave Bahrain the top spot for its welcoming attitude toward expats and the ease of navigating society if you only speak English. Runner-up Costa Rica made a big jump from previous years in the personal finance category, and Mexico, in third place, continued to be an all-around favorite with those survey takers.
Of course, other sources might offer different opinions about where one might want to live overseas, but this is a solid start. According to InterNations, the 10 best places to live abroad for 2017 are...
- 10SpainSeanPavonePhoto via Getty Images
- 9Singaporelena_serditova via Getty Images
- 8Colombiagarytog via Getty Images
- 7MaltaZoltanGabor via Getty Images
- 6New Zealandwnjay_wootthisak via Getty Images
- 5PortugalSeanPavonePhoto via Getty Images
- 4Taiwanfazon1 via Getty Images
- 3Mexicoferrantraite via Getty Images
- 2Costa RicaGetty Images
- 1Bahraintyphoonski via Getty Images